Jan 20, 2016

Bonsai Pots & Air Pruning Of Roots

Usually these 2 topics do not go together, though they very well should. The content that I have seen online for air pruning is either limited to growing vegetables or big trees. For some strange reason, many expert bonsai artists and hence, their followers, don't seem to have adopted this horticultural science. 



 Holes on side & base - helps in better aeration & air pruning of roots.
Source : shapeways.com

I have seen articles/videos of many bonsai experts using large traditional plastic / ceramic pots for bonsai training, with ZERO concept of air-pruning ! In their bonsai repotting articles/videos also, I see root-bound plants & less fibrous root growth.

And I wonder how can these bonsai experts / legends not know or not practice air pruning. Its unbelievable ! They have the knowledge of  akadama soil imported from Japan but use ordinary pots with no air-pruning and root aeration facility. I can't think of even one good reason why ! Are they waiting for the Japanese bonsai masters to adopt it first ? I am all for screwing tradition and adopting modern science. After learning about air-pruning 3 months into my bonsai hobby, I am now converting all my pots to allow this and I also see the evidence in my roots during repotting.

If you don't like the traditional bonsai pot to be full of holes then opt for holes only on the base. I hate the usual 2-4 holes in bonsai pots. That is so inadequate !

Holes only on base. Has the benefit of a traditional looking bonsai pot.
Source : shapeways.com




Source : bonsaibardo.com



Source : Zanna 54 at flickr.com


Clay Colander Pots

 
Wonder why bonsai pots with holes like these are not made ? They are better than pots with just 2 holes.
Source : google image search



Custom Bonsai Pots For Air Pruning
http://www.bonsaibardo.com/#!Grow-Better-Bonsai-with-Air-Pruning/xsx3y/5682faf80cf21caddb9abd7a
Source : Paul Kellum at bonsaibardo.com
http://www.bonsaitreeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?35005-Growing-boxes
Source :  Vance Wood at bonsaitreeforums.com




My  Home-Made  Solutions :

Air-Pruning Final Pot


Make holes at will & easily with a soldering gun.



Air-Pruning Bonsai Training Pots

You can stack the air pot inside another better looking & bigger pot, as shown below. I now use the training plant as an ornamental plant, inside my home, instead of pushing it into one corner on my balcony, like earlier. Some greenery inside the house looks nice.


Colanders & net pots are also a cheap &  good solution.  Just do an image search for colander bonsai and be surprised. These seem to be used mainly by amateurs.

 

Another solution for air pruning in traditional bonsai pots is to raise the pot bottom using a netted plastic sheet, leaving a layer of air between soil and pot bottom.


Illustration by Vinny Chirayil


Nylon Bag 
(Meant For Storing Veggies in Fridge)
More fibrous root volume, Faster growth in same volume of soil, Healthier plants

4 comments:

  1. Hi Vinny!
    Have you researched what effects air pruning has on the development of the nebari? This surely is very important for bonsai growers ...
    Jens Lindworsky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jens, I believe you got my mail on this.

      Delete

---- YOU CAN COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY TOO, WITHOUT LOGGING IN ----